Immigration advice you can trust

Caregivers interested in immigrating to Canada have a lot of options. There are currently two types of immigration program in operation that are designed only for caregivers. The latest pilot programs opened for application on June 18th 2019.

It replaces the expiring Caring for Children & Caring for People with High Medical Needs Pilots. It has been criticized for keeping workers stuck in several abusive workplaces & apart from their families abroad. The Liberal government was not in office when the pilot programs were introduced in 2014, marked them as “ineffective.”

Caregivers now receive a work permit if they have a job offer in Canada and meets standard criteria for special economic immigration programs. Once working in Canada, caregivers will begin to gain the required two years of Canadian work experience and apply for permanent residence. If you are qualifying, you can get an open work permit to fly to Canada and work quickly. Under this available work permit, you need to know specific things, which are as follows:

  • Restricted to that specific occupation
  • It doesn’t need an LMIA
  • Allows you get the work experience you require to apply for permanent residence


You need to be aware that if you have recently worked in Canada as a home child care provider or as a support worker, your experience in all probability will be counted. It will make you eligible for permanent residency.