Post Graduate Work Permit

Immigration advice you can trust

Canada offers a couple of work permits that function differently under the work program offered by Canadian authorities. These work permits are generally defined as open work permits & close work permits. Here we would discuss mainly available work permits.

What exactly is an open work permit?

Openwork permits are issued to individuals willing to work for an employer in Canada. The employer shows keenness to hire employees for the period the work permit is valid. It can be as short as six months or for a long time frame of 3 years, depending on the situation.

In simple words work permit is a legal document that allows an individual to live & work freely in Canada for a specific time frame. If there are any changes to the nature of your work or the term is about to expire, you can apply for an extension.

When to apply?

The processing time can take more than three months; thereby, it is essential to apply at least a month before the expiry of the current permit. Remember, an individual cannot get a work permit extension before the date of expiry of your passport.

Who can apply?

Individuals expressing interest to work in Canada under an employer for a given time frame for a particular trade can apply. The time frame can be as short as six months or three years, depending on the situation.

What are the requirements for a Canadian Open work permit?

  • Should have a study or work permit
  • Spouse, common-law partner or parent should have a valid study or work permit.
  • If you are eligible for a post-graduation work permit & your study permit is valid.
  • If your post-graduation has expired or will expire in the coming four months
  • If your spouse or law partner has a temporary resident permit
  • You made or will claim refugee protection
  • You can apply for a claim if you are recognized as a convention refugee or protected person by Canada’s immigration & refugee board.
  • If you are allowed to work in Canada without any work permit but in need of a work permit to work for different jobs
  • If you are into trading, investing, intra-company transferee or professional under Canadian-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA)